Sloppy joes can be reminiscent of your elementary school cafeteria (who didn’t look forward to the sloppy joe and tater tot days?) But, sloppy joes can be a quick week night supper and with the right ingredients, they can be a fairly healthful meal. Instead of piling the “sloppy” mix on a golden bun, try just using a good-old fork as the vessel to carry the mix from plate to mouth.
Prep Time:5 minutes
Cook Time:10 minutes
Ready In:15 minutes
- 1 tablespoon(s) extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 lbs grass-fed beef or bison
- 1 onion (chopped)
- 1 red bell pepper (chopped)
- 1 tablespoon(s) red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon(s) Worcestershire sauce
- 2 cup(s) tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoon(s) tomato paste
- optional seasonings (salt, pepper, crushed red pepper)
Heat olive oil in large skillet over medium high heat. Add beef or bison and break it up into small chunks with a spatula. As meat browns, add chopped onion and red bell pepper.
Once meat is cooked through, add vinegar, Worcestershire, tomato sauce and tomato paste and the seasonings of your choice. Turn heat down to low and simmer until sauce has thickened.
Have a great recipe you would like to share? Click here to submit your own.